Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fox Glacier

 
After Arthur’s Pass I caught a bus to Fox Glacier. The entire town is pretty much 1 block, with a couple restaurants on each end, a few hotels off the side street, and the glacier guides building in the middle. I went for a walk around the town my first night, and it quite literally took me 10 min. Ha ha.

My purpose in coming here was to hike the glacier. There are two famous glaciers in this area with guided walks; Franz Josef and Fox Glacier. Franz Josef can only be accessed by helicopter right now, so I decided to do the much cheaper Fox Glacier. The company provided us with any equipment we didn’t already have (crampons, rain pants, boots etc) and we headed out! The glacier is in a rather unique location, right on the edge of a rainforest, and is quite close to the coast (the guide said about 25km).

Although it was very impressive I find it hard to write much about this outing. The weather was bad, but not so bad I didn’t have fun. The guide was good, but not so great as to be memorable… and of the 12 people in our group only 3 of them had personalities. I would say it is definitely worth the trip over and the cost of the tour, but not something I feel I need to do again soon.

Looking  back at where we have been
 
Starting to rain!

Goofing around during lunch break


Next step, Queenstown. I haven't really done any research or booking of anything except the hostel, so I guess we will see what I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment