Thursday, March 20, 2014

Shotover Canyon Swing

If you knew me when I was in elementary school, you probably wouldn't have guessed I would try something like this...

A few years ago I was watching Japanese TV and they did a segment about a giant swing in New Zealand. It looked terrifying but I really wanted to try it. I was on the fence about weather or not to do it, but after talking to a guy at the hostel who had the day before, I walked down to their office and swiped my credit card. Once you have paid... no turning back!

Over the last couple of days I flipped flopped between being nervous (Is this really gunna be safe!? What was I thinking!?) and excited (This is gunna be such a rush! It will be awesome! It will look so cool!)

I woke up the day of the jump super excited to get in the van and GO!

After signing the "if you die that sucks..." paperwork, I was so excited to get in the van and GO!

After arriving, strapping in to our harnesses, and taping our cameras to our hands I was so excited to GO! I even volunteered to go first!

I went out on the platform, got hooked into all the ropes for the swing, they leaned me out over the edge for the photo, I smiled and felt a little nervous... then they told me to look down... I could not would not... but they made me... and I froze.... I was so ready to STOP!

I took a few deep breaths, and stepped off... I was terrified but SO exciting and SUCH a rush. 60m free fall and 200meter swing... The transition between fall and swing was so smooth I could barely tell it even happened!


Some how managed to take a selfy while falling into the swing hahaha
After the swing stoped they pulled me back up and asked, "how was it?" "GREAT!!" "Do you want to do it again?" "Uh... YES!!!"

They gave me crap for doing "the same thing" twice but the first time I closed my eyes and prayed I wouldn't die as I stepped/fell off... The second time with eyes (pretty much) open I walk/ran off. So I would say it 1) wasn't the exact same thing and 2) I over came some fear and enjoyed the jump more! But them trying to give me shit and pressure me into jumping backwards or doing a flip could have been done without...

Anyway I am SO glad I tried this and challenged myself to face something new and a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment