Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tongariro Crossing


I will be honest I was a little nervous about this hike... It is longer than I have hiked before and I had heard all kinds of terrible things about the Devil's Staircase and the steep slippery walk down... Plus the night before the shuttle organizer was telling us what to do in the case of an eruption, and if you step even a little off the trail you can fall to your death... All kinds of encouraging things....

Sunrise in the valley

I bussed over from the hostel and started walking around 8am There were SOOOO many people! It was crazy! At the start there was barely a moments peace because you were either trying to overtake slow people or being overtaken by the few runners. Eventually things sort of broke up into smaller groups by pace, and I finally felt like I could stop and take pictures. I wish there had been less people but it was nice to meet people and chat along the way. (A number of them had done it before and said they had never seen it so busy!)

Rather than run you step by step through the entire 19.4km I will just upload a few more photos.


Signal at the start letting you know if it's "safe"

 


Up we go!


In front of "Mt. Doom" (a little less than 1/2 way maybe)


Only section I didn't really enjoy... VERY slippery!




The last 3km or so is through a forest. Nice change of scenery but you keep thinking "are we there yet?"


Hut damaged in a volcanic eruption! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment