Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Zealandia

water & pipes recreate bird call
On my 3rd trip to Wellington I finally bothered to get out to Zealandia, a wildlife conservation park just up the hill from the botanical gardens. Zealandia is trying to recreate the local wildlife and forest as it would have been before humans came and brought pests. 

I made it in time for their morning guided walk, and I actually regret doing it. It was free (well with the cost of entry) but the guide spent more time talking about what Zealandia is doing rather than talking about the unique characteristics of the birds and wildlife they are saving. I am glad they are doing so much to help the population of native birds, but they did nothing to inform guests as to WHY these birds are worth saving... Also they don't take you anywhere that isn't already on the main trail, so really I think you could enjoy the birds more walking alone without people scaring them away. 

I wanted to catch the shuttle back to town so I didn't have time to visit their exhibition hall. Oh well. There were lots of other walks and trails that I didn't have time to do either. I think if you lived in Wellington and wanted to do nature walks regularly without having to drive out of the city, their annual pass might be worth it. As a tourist, I was glad I went but I don't think its a MUST do. Especially if you have been to any other nature conservation parks. 
Wellington Green Gecko 

Takahe

Kaka

No comments:

Post a Comment