Monday, February 24, 2014

Abel Tasman Day 1

One of the places I most wanted to hit up on the South Island was the Abel Tasman National Park. So after arriving in Picton that is the first place I went!


Today was my first full day so took it easy and just enjoyed the sunshine. I am staying in Motueka, and after a short walk around town... I discovered that there wasn't much here if you want to enjoy the rugged outdoors, but with a car its a nice short distance to the real fun. First I headed to Marahau. The tide was out and it was the biggest beach I have ever seen! And there was no one on it!!! It was flat and covered with little sandy tide pools filled with snails, shell fish, and star fish! I was amazed how much life there was in the sand! At home most of the shells or crabs you find in the sandy beaches are dead, but there were so many live animals it was difficult to know where to step without killing something!



 

Next I went to Kaiteriteri and was greeted with a much different experience. The town around the beach is larger than Marahayu but mostly touristy stuff, and the beach is much steeper. There were people swimming and sunbathing, so I joined them. (First lounging in the sun with a book, then bobbing around.) It was my first time in the ocean above my knees! ha ha



 
Tomorrow I will go Kayaking! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment